Inform the masses and get ready for some fun! The Otaking has arrived!
A few days ago, AnimEigo launched a preview of their KickStarter for the Otaku no Video Otaking Edition Blu-Ray. Currently, the release has a funding goal of $40,000.
If funded, the Blu-Ray will be include both Otaku no Video and its 1985 sequel Shin Otaku no Video 1985 in subtitled format. The release will feature remastered video, as well as a separate bonus feature that includes the original “interview” segments in their original 60i format.
Extra features will include a pair of commentary tracks, which feature voice actress Kikuko Inoue, animation producer Shouji Murahama, Ganiax president Hiroyuki Yamaga, and anime producer Hiroki Sato. These will be curated by anime historian Toru Sano.
In addition, backers will receive a digital materials bundle, which includes color artwork, line art, scans of the original scripts, and program notes.
The Otaku no Video Otaking Edition currently maintains an estimated February 2016 shipping window, though AnimEigo hopes to “give you a very Otaku Xmas.”
The current funding goals are as follows:
- $5: Access to all online digital materials
- $25: Otaku no Video Blu-Ray, plus access to all online digital materials
- $100: Name in pre-load credits, plus all previous tiers (Limited to 70)
- $250: Set of Check Discs, plus all previous tiers (Limited 4)
- $1,500: Original Otaku no Video cel, plus all benefits in $100 tier (Limited 4)
- $1,982: Original sketch by Kenichi Sonoda, plus all benefits in $100 tier (Limited 4)
- $2,500: Name listed on package as “the one and only Otaking”, five copies of the Otaku no Video Blu-Ray, plus all other rewards in $100 tier. (Limited 1)
Several stretch goals are planned, based on the number of backers:
- 1982 Backers: Custom cover art by Kenichi Sonoda
- 3967 (1982+1985) Backers: Original short comic by Kenichi Sonoda
- 5958 (1982+1985+1991) Backers: Klingon subtitle track
- 7973 (1982+1985+1991+2015) Backers: Expanded comic, printed as a 16-page doujinshi
In addition to the Blu-Ray, the Otaku no Video Otaking Edition will ship with anywhere from zero to ten postcards, all dependent on a number of Kickstarter and social media-related factors. Currently, the following options are available:
- Basic goal is met in the first 48 hours.
- Basic goal is met in the first 72 hours.
- Basic goal is met in the first week.
- 1982 Facebook likes.
- 1985 @AnimEigo Twitter followers (currently, we’re at 1185).
- 1982 Tweets using the #otakunovideo hashtag.
- 1985 people tweeting using the #otakunovideo hashtag.
- 3967 Facebook likes.
- 3967 @AnimEigo Twitter followers.
- 5958 Facebook likes and @AnimEigo Twitter followers.
- 7973 Facebook likes and @AnimEigo Twitter followers.
Fans will be able to back the project via the official Otaku no Video Otaking Edition KickStarter Page starting next month.