It’s a dramedy about Yankees and folk dancing. What’s not to love?
Earlier today, Sentai Filmworks announced the English dub cast for Hanayamata. The series will star the following:
- Naru Sekiya: Caitlynn French
- Hana N. Fountainstand: Luci Christian
- Yaya Sasame: Monica Rial
- Tami Nishimikado: Cynthia Martinez
- Machi Tokiwa: Carli Mosier
- Sally-sensei: Molly Searcy
- Masaru Ofuna: John Gremillion
- Sachiko Yamanoshita: Brittany Karbowski
- Yuka Komachi: Juliet Simmons
- Arisa Kajiwara: Margaret McDonald
- Naru’s Father: David Wald
- Hana’s Father: Leraldo Anzaldua
- Hana’s Mother: Tiffany Grant
- Tami’s Father: David Matranga
- Yaya’s Father: John Swasey
- Police Officer: John Swasey
- Additional Voices: Leraldo Anzladua
- Additional Voices: Christopher Ayres
- Additional Voices: Amanda L. Baird
- Additional Voices: Joanne Bonasso
- Additional Voices: Cayla Coats
Christopher Ayres was tapped to direct the dub.
Hanayamata is based on Sou Hamayumiba’s manga of the same name. The series was directed by Atsuko Ishizuka (No Game, No Life, The Pet Girl of Sakurasou) at Madhouse, with Atsuko Watanabe (Unbreakable Machine-Doll, Heavy Object) providing character designs. Reiko Yoshida (Bakuman, Girls und Panzer) filled two roles, taking charge of series composition and writing the scripts.
Sentai describes Hanayamata as follows:
Naru is an extremely average high school girl. Though she has a love for fairy tale heroines, she’s never done anything extraordinary with her life. One day, she sees the transfer student, Hana dancing in the moonlight. Naru becomes inspired by her new acquaintance and decides to learn Yosakoi dancing.
The series is currently streaming in its entirety on Crunchyroll. Sentai will release the title on DVD and Blu-Ray on January 19.
Source: Sentai Filmworks