What if life were all but a dream, a digital blip within a billion flickering chips and capacitors?
Earlier today, DJ and music producer Porter Robinson started streaming his music video for the song Shelter. The short was produced by A-1 Pictures, in association with the studio and Crunchyroll.
Toshifumi Akai directed the project, with Megumi Kouno serving as character designer. Robinson executive produced the film and wrote the script.
Additional staff includes:
- Senior Producer: Vincent Shortino, Tomonori Ochikoshi
- Producer: Takuma Sugi, Masanori Miyake, Akira Shimizu, Takamitsu Inoue
- Production Manager: Kenta Ueuchi, Eri Nakayama
- Art Director: Yusuke Takeda
- Animation Producer: Yūichi Fukushima
- Motion Picture Examiner: Tomoko Miyata
- Motion Pictures: Tomoko Miyata, Mizuki Matsuda, Satomi Tabuchi, Mika Sugiyama, Seira Yamagishi, Kanna Hirayama
- Color Design: Kazuko Nakashima
- Color Setting: Yuko Watanabe, Mai Yamaguchi
- Paint: Asuka Yokota, Mayu Morita, Ayaka Nagai, Kyoko Hara, Ayaka Murakami, Akane Edagawa, Ayaka Suzuki, Mana Hokuto
- 2D Design: CAPSULE, Yohei Miyahara, Kaori Seki
- Special Effects: Aya Kubota
- Art Board: Harumi Okamoto
- Background: Bamboo, Takamasa Masuki, Tsukasa Kakizakai, Izumi Hirabayashi, Surok Chong, Ryusei Nishino, Takumi Sasaki, Aya Sato, Michiko Nakamura
- CGI Animation: Yusuke Noma, Yō Fukuda, Shigeru Horiguchi
- Director of Photography: Yūya Sakuma
- Finishing: Takeru Ogihara, Ayaka Shimizu, Satsuki Takahashi, Taichi Nishikawa, Sachiko Ito
- Editing: Akinori Mishima
- Sound Recording Director: Akiko Fujita
- Sound Effects: Takahisa Ishino
- Sound Mixer: Naotsugu Uchida
- Sound Editor: Chiharu Kawasaki
- Sound Production Manager: Yūsuke Watanabe
- Sound Production Recording Studio: HALF H.P. STUDIO
Robinson and songwriter Madeon released Shelter in August. The video’s description describes the feature as:
Shelter tells the story of Rin, a 17-year-old girl who lives her life inside of a futuristic simulation completely by herself in infinite, beautiful loneliness. Each day, Rin awakens in virtual reality and uses a tablet which controls the simulation to create a new, different, beautiful world for herself. Until one day, everything changes, and Rin comes to learn the true origins behind her life inside a simulation.
Robinson stated that Japanese pop culture and anime have influenced his music. He describes his video as a “concrete distillation of being immersed into fantasy and it’s connection to reality.”
Source: YouTube (Porter Robinson)