You know, even Elizabeth gets her moment to be badass this time!
On June 8, Warner Brothers started streaming a new promo video for the live-action Gintama movie. The 100-second teaser shows off a bit of tense action. The adrenaline-fueled swordplay quickly gives way to comedy, though, as Gintoki and company deal with aggressive farmers, nose-picking zombies, and other quirky denizens of the world.
Gintama opens in Japanese theaters on July 14. The film will open in Australian and New Zealand theaters afterwards.
The Gintama film is based on Hideaki Sorachi’s manga of the same name. The feature will be helmed by Yūichi Fukuda (Hentai Kamen), who is also writing the script.
The confirmed cast includes:
- Gintoki Sakata: Shun Oguri
- Shinpachi Shimura: Masaki Suda
- Kagura: Kanna Hashimoto
- Tae Shimura: Masami Nagasawa
- Kotaro Katsura: Masaki Okada
- Gengai Hiraga: Tsuyoshi Muro
- Toshiro Hijikata: Yuuya Yagira
- Sougo Okita: Ryo Yoshizawa
- Isao Kondo: Kankurō Nakamura VI
- Nizō Okada: Hirofumi Arai
- Henpeita Takechi: Jiro Sato
- Matako Kijima: Nanao
- Tetsuya Murata: Ken Yasuda
- Tetsuko Murata: Akari Hayami
- Shinsuke Takasugi: Tsuyoshi Domoto
The Gintama manga kicked off in the pages of Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump on December 8, 2003. The ongoing title currently spans 65 collected volumes. Several anime adaptations were produced, including four TV series, five OVAs, and three films.
Crunchyroll currently holds the domestic rights to the first Gintama anime, which they plan to offer on Blu-Ray. Viz Media currently holds the license for the Gintama manga.
A new season of Gintama premiered on January 9. Earlier this month, CineAsia Oz started streaming a subtitled version of a previous promo. You can check it out below: