You read that right. Gintama is coming to a theater that may or may not be near you.
Earlier today, the live-action Gintama movie’s official Twitter account announced that the feature will receive theatrical runs in the United States and Germany. As of press time, details have yet to be revealed for either region.
The announcement also featured a sketch of Gintoki by series creator Hideaki Sorachi , which you can check out below:
Gintama opened in Japanese theaters on July 14. The film opened in Australian and New Zealand theaters earlier this month.
The Gintama film is based on Hideaki Sorachi’s manga of the same name. The feature will be helmed by Yūichi Fukuda (Hentai Kamen), who is also writing the script.
The confirmed cast includes:
- Gintoki Sakata: Shun Oguri
- Shinpachi Shimura: Masaki Suda
- Kagura: Kanna Hashimoto
- Tae Shimura: Masami Nagasawa
- Kotaro Katsura: Masaki Okada
- Gengai Hiraga: Tsuyoshi Muro
- Toshiro Hijikata: Yuuya Yagira
- Sougo Okita: Ryo Yoshizawa
- Isao Kondo: Kankurō Nakamura VI
- Nizō Okada: Hirofumi Arai
- Henpeita Takechi: Jiro Sato
- Matako Kijima: Nanao
- Tetsuya Murata: Ken Yasuda
- Tetsuko Murata: Akari Hayami
- Shinsuke Takasugi: Tsuyoshi Domoto
The Gintama manga kicked off in the pages of Shueisha’s Weekly Shonen Jump on December 8, 2003. The ongoing title currently spans 65 collected volumes. Several anime adaptations were produced, including four TV series, five OVAs, and three films.
Crunchyroll currently holds the domestic rights to the first Gintama anime, which they plan to offer on Blu-Ray. Viz Media currently holds the license for the Gintama manga.
A new season of Gintama premiered on January 9.
Several promotional trailers have been released to promote the Gintama film, which you can check out below:
Meiyu (Sworn Friends)
TV Spot Elizabeth
TV Spot: Summer Festival
TV Spot: Nationwide
TV Spot: World and Setting
Source: Twitter (gintama_film) (Thanks to L.B. Bryant for the tip!)