A silent voice, but an impressive feature. Great to see it getting so much love.
Earlier today, Anime Limited announced the English dub cast for A Silent Voice. The film will star the following:
- Shoya Ishida: Robbie Daymond
- Shoya Ishida (Grade 6): Ryan Shanahan
- Shoko Nishimiya: Lexi Cowden
- Naoka Ueno: Kira Buckland
- Naoka Ueno (Grade 6): Gia Grace
- Miki Kawai: Amber Lee Connors
- Miki Kawai (Grade 6): Annabelle Corigliano
- Miyoko Sahara: Melissa Hope
- Mikoko Sahara (Grade 6): Catie Harvey
- Hirose (Grade 6): Brian Bekerle
- Kazuki Shimada: Michael Sinterniklaas
- Kazuki Shimada (Grade 6): Spencer Rosen
- Yuzuru Nishimiya: Kristen Sullivan
- Yaeko Nishimiya: Lipica Shah
- Ito Nishimiya: Janis Carol
- Miyoko Ishida: Sara Cravens
- Nagatsuka: Graham Halstead
- Satoshi Mashiba: Max Mittelman
- Maria: AnnaBelle Deaner
- Additional Voices: Christine Marie Cabanos
- Additional Voices: Marc Diraison
- Additional Voices: Amanda Winn Lee
- Additional Voices: Michael Schneider
- Additional Voices: Michael Sinterniklaas
- Additional Voices: Stephanie Sheh
- Additional Voices: Michael Sorich
Lexi Cowden, who plays deaf character Shoko Nishimiya, is also deaf.
Stephanie Sheh is directing the adaptation at NYAV Post, with additional support by Amanda Winn Lee and Michael Sinterniklaas. Other staffers for the dub include:
- Spotting: Clark Cheng
- Casting Director: Stephanie Sheh
- Script: Amanda Winn Lee
- Script: Clark Cheng
- Consultant: Amanda Winn Lee
Anime Limited will screen the world première for the dub on October 17 at Edinburgh’s Filmhouse cinema. The feature will be shown as part of the Scotland Loves Anime Film Festival. The film will hit North American theaters starting October 20.
A Silent Voice is based on Yoshitoki Oima’s manga of the same name. The feature was directed by Naoko Yamada (K-ON!, Tamako Market) at Kyoto Animation, with Reiko Yoshida (Bakuman, Castle Town Dandelion) writing the script. The background score was composed by Kensuke Ushio (Ping Pong the Animation), while Futoshi Nishiya (Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club, Hyouka) provided character designs.
Eleven Arts describes the feature as:
A Silent Voice” follows the poignant and moving story of Shōya Ishida, a school bully, and Shōko Nishimiya, a young girl with a hearing disability. Their story begins in sixth grade when Shōko transfers to Shōya’s elementary school and quickly finds herself bullied and isolated due to her hearing disability. Years later, the tables turn, and Shōya finds himself the victim. “A Silent Voice” depicts the struggles and challenges of adolescence alongside coming-of-age outside the norm.
Eleven Arts released an English-subtitled trailer on August 30, which you can check out below:
Source: Anime Limited