On June 17, Studio Ghibli’s Pom Poko will bring the Tama Hills to theaters across North America for a special three-day event. The feature, which was helmed by dearly departed visionary Isao Takahata, originally hit Japanese theaters in 1994. The film captured the hearts and minds of fans and critics alike, going as far as to win Best Animation Film at the Mainichi Film Awards.
Takahata’s brilliance shines in this tale of the clash between human civilization and nature. The picture is set in the Tama Hills, where a fun-loving community of tanuki see their woodland homes threatened by an encroaching development project. The humans have come, with the goal of replacing trees and bushes with houses and shopping malls. With their survival at stake, the tanuki come together, as they discover the ancient arts of transformation. Using their gifts, these plucky woodland wonders wage one last offensive as they attempt to scare the humans away and save their homes, once and for all.
Tickets for Pom Poko are now on sale. The film will be shown on June 17, 18, and 20.
Anime Herald is proud to work with GKIDS as a partner in spreading the word about this masterpiece. Moreover, the folks at GKIDS have prepared a a pair of tickets to the show, which will go out to one lucky fan.
Enter by June 13 for a chance to win!
- No purchase necessary to enter or win.
- Participants must be residents of the United States.
- The following individuals are not eligible: employees, contractors, directors, and officers of Anime Herald or GKIDS.
- The contest ends on June 13, 2018 at 11:59PM Eastern (8:59PM Pacific)
- Winners will be able to select their preferred theater and date. A representative from our partners will reach out to confirm theater choices after the contest ends.
Header Image © 1994 Studio Ghibli – NN