We’re taking a tiny glimpse into the future, it seems.
Earlier today, the official Free! Dive to the Future anime website updated with a new teaser trailer. The 87-second promo introduces the major concepts, with character dialogue providing the core story beats. Theme song Heading to Over by OLDCODEX plays as a background track.
Free! Dive to the Future hits Japanese TV on July 11. ABC, Tokyo MX 1, BS-11, and TV Aichi will carry the series. The full broadcast schedule is as follows:
- ABC: 7/12/2018 at 26:43 (7/13/2018 at 2:43AM)
- Tokyo MX1: 7/11/2018 at 24:00 (7/12/2018 at Midnight)
- TV Aichi: 7/11/2018 at 26:05 (7/12/2018 at 2:05AM)
- BS11: 7/12/2018 at 24:00 (7/13/2018 at Midnight)
For the ABC run, subsequent episodes will air on Wednesdays at 26:15 (Thursdays at 2:15AM). A special program will air a week before the premiere in the same time slot.
Eisaku Kawanami (Free! -Take Your Marks-, Free! -Timeless Medley-) will return to the director’s chair for Free! Dive to the Future at Kyoto Animation and Animation DO. Futoshi Nishiya (Free! franchise, A Silent Voice) will reprise his role as character designer, while Masahiro Yokotani (Free! – Iwatobi Swim Club, Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-) returns to tackle series composition.
Other confirmed crew members include:
- Chief Animation Director: Futoshi Nishiya
- Art Director: Shingo Kasai
- Color Design: Yūka Yoneda
- 3D Director: Yuji Shibata
- 3D Art: Joji Unoguchi
- Prop Design: Seiichi Akitake
- Director of Photography: Kazuya Takao
- Music: Tatsuya Kato
- Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka
- Sound Production: Lantis
The confirmed team members are all returning from previous installments of the Free! anime franchise.
OLDCODEX will perform opening theme song Heading to Over. Style Five, which is composed of the five main voice cast members, will perform ending theme song Gold Evolution.
The confirmed voice cast includes:
- Rei Ryugazaki: Daisuke Hirakawa
- Rin Matsuoka: Mamoru Miyano
- Haruka Nanase: Nobunaga Shimazaki
- Makoto Tachibana: Tatsuhisa Suzuki
- Nagisa Hazuki: Tsubasa Yonaga
- Momotarō Mikoshiba: Kenichi Suzumura
- Aiichirō Nitori: Kouki Miyata
- Ikuya Kirishima: Kouki Uchiyama
- Asahi Shiina: Toshiyuki Toyonaga
- Sōsuke Yamazaki: Yoshimasa Hosoya
- Natsuya Kirishima: Kenji Nojima
- Hiyori Toono: Ryohei Kimura
- Nao Serizawa: Satoshi Hino
- Ayumu Kunikida: Ryou Hirohashi
- Romio Hayahune: Atsushi Abe
- Shizuru Isurugi: Yoshitsugu Matsuoka
Kyoto Animation describes Free! Dive to the Future as:
Haruka has graduated from high school, and came to know the joyous bonds that connected swimming to his future. He’s reuinted with Asahi, whom he swam relays with in Tokyo.
It reawakens those memories of junior high in both students… and the appearance of Ikuya from “that time” even awoke in their hearts. Makoto, who came up from afar, is chasing a new dream in Tokyo, and Rin, who left for Sydney, joins up in a truly unexpected place.
Is it a new battle that awaits in their future? Or are they confronting the past that they left behind, instead?
The first Free! anime, Free! Iwatobi Swim Club, hit Japanese TV on July 7, 2013. The series was directed by Hiroko Utsumi at Kyoto Animation, with character designs by Futoshi Nishiya. The team of Masahiro Yokotani and Reiko Yoshida wrote the show’s scripts.
Crunchyroll is currently streaming the show on their digital platform. They describe the show as follows:
Nanase Haruka loved to be in the water – loved swimming. In elementary school, Nanase Haruka, Tachibana Makoto, Matsuoka Rin, and Hazuki Nagisa attended the same swimming class together. Time passed, and as Haruka was living an uneventful high school life, he suddenly encountered Rin again. Rin challenged Haruka to a race and showed him how much stronger he had become. Soon enough, Makoto and Nagisa also rejoined the group, and along with a new classmate, Ryugazaki Rei, they established the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club.