Earlier today, the official website for Ride Your Wave (Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara) updated with a new teaser trailer. The minute-long promo opens with a lead characters Hinako and Minato singing a duet version of theme song Brand New Story. The song is set to footage of the characters sharing heartwarming moments together, including a meal at a restaurant, a couple’s surfing session, and a quiet sunset on the docks.
Generations from Exile Tribe will perform the song for the film, which opens on June 21. The feature will be screened in competition at this year’s Annecy International Animation Film Festival, which will be held from June 10 – 15.
Masaaki Yuasa (Devilman Crybaby, Lu Over The Wall, Night Is Short, Walk On Girl), is directing the feature at his Science Saru studio. Reiko Yoshida (AOKANA: Four Rhythm Across the Blue, Girls und Panzer) is writing the screenplay, while Michiru Oshima (Little Witch Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist) scores the soundtrack.
The confirmed voice cast includes:
- Minato Hinageshi: Ryota Katayose
- Hinako Mukaimizu: Rina Kawaei
- Masayo Kawamura: Kentaro Ito
- Yōko Hinageshi: Honoka Matsumoto
The film will be a romantic comedy, which tells the tale of a surfer and college student and a firefighter. According to Yuasa, the film will “begin on an unexpected note,” and that there will be scenes which show the juxtaposition of fire and water.
The two main characters are:
- Hinako Mukaimizu: A 19-year-old university student who loves surfing. Though she has a carefree and cheerful personality, Hinako secretly has doubts about her future.
- Minato Hinageshi: A 21-year-old firefighter with a powerful sense of justice. Gifted with great dexterity and a strong work ethic, he appears to be able to handle any task.
Source: Comic Natalie